Monday, September 26, 2011

My First Blog!!!

     So as the story goes I had finished my homework...for the most part...and was sitting in my room wondering what I could, or should, possibly do with my life right now. Then I had the grand idea to start a blog! I screamed into my suite-mate's room for approval and then decided it was a must. My goal for this blog is to be able to record and share my thoughts about what I'm learning, daily, every other day, or weekly, about Jesus and being in a relationship with the Lord. This past summer I fell far away from God and turned my back to him despite the love and wisdom he gave me during my senior year. My selfishness and carelessness for myself and others lead me to near rock bottom. In my world anyway. Moving away to college I had somewhat of a fresh start, and therefore, took it as an opportunity to leave the "Senior Summer Shannon" behind. College life started out fresh and GOOD. But, I will admit, it's not that easy to just "leave" baggage behind.
     My first week, FROG week, was pretty gnarly and quite embarrassing. My sub-free dorm that I, thankfully, signed up for is probably one of the greatest support systems God has put in my life. I was given an air conditioned dorm, on the quad, around an 85% Christian community, and suite-mates that I could have never thought to ask for. The community of people that live in my dorm are mostly made up of students that are awesomely racing after the Lord. My hall is all girls and some of them have already become deeper best friends than most. And, furthermore, my suite-mates, Emily, Kate, and Katrina are some of the strongest Christians I've ever met. The four of us challenge each other with our faith every day. We sing, laugh, dance, and...waste time hanging out with each other and the Lord. Keith, the guy God's set me up with presently, is amazingly accepting and reliable as well as grounding but super fun, happy, and running after the Lord like I am. And just like that! God set me up with a support system that already loves me, challenges me, and is there for me...how could I ever deserve this!?
     That's the question that hit me for the first few weeks. How could I ever deserve this? After who I was proud to be this summer, how could God not only forgive me, but immediately rain down on me with love and new, beautiful things. Kinda remind you of the Parable of the Lost Son? IN REAL LIFE!!! hahaha...and I'm a girl... :P
     So then I took the opportunity and dove into the Lord's word. Dove into everything that He had presented me with. After a few weeks Emily and I decided to begin a Daniel Fast. We're in our last week now and after praying for what I should be focusing on, I went with what God told me, and decided to focus on my heart, and my  relationship with Him. Something I usually put last. The past two weeks of this has been amazing, enlightening, painful, sweet, bitter, and beautiful. Things that I had been holding at the bottom of my heart for so long I almost forgot they were there and that I had never dealt with them, began to surface. Three words: God goes hard. He has been chipping away at the scum and dirt caking the walls of my heart so that when He fills it up it can reach every corner, rounded or sharp.
     Through InterVaristy (IV) and Young Life I have made amazing new friends in BOTH small groups. As of right now I think I'm going to stay with Young Life, we just started studying the book Crazy Love! I have already built trusting relationships and spilled some of my guts that I didn't even want to confront myself about to new best friends in my hall as well. I am looking forward to trying Cru this week and have been invited to a video Bible study on Sunday nights. God has also given me the opportunity to try out the Frisbee team this week! Which I'm sure He knew I was upset about when I thought it wasn't going to work out a couple weeks ago. But who knows what will happen :P
     I've learned that dancing is probably the greatest and sweatiest thing anyone can ever do. I've learned that God will pour love onto you no matter what and in every way He possibly can, with your acceptance. I've learned that every day should be one filled with Joy. I mean look at this world!!! I've learned that being vulnerable is necessary. That in order to give love you have to allow yourself to accept it. That God will always know you better than you know yourself. That relaxing and essentially doing nothing for hours at a time can be a good thing. And that God is just beautiful, along with everything and everyone He's made.
   

1 comment: