Monday, January 27, 2014

What Are We Truly Saying Perhaps... (Written 8.28.13)

Before I begin, I want to first lay out my purpose, my motivation. I simply aim to jog the brain, to provoke contemplation about our own selves, the source in which all that we put forth comes or moves through. I don't type to bash or hate, and I try to avoid judging at all costs. But, as I've experienced thus far, I cannot promise that I don't do a significant amount of this as it seems one must, sincerely, in even the most justifiable ways. What I am trying to say is, I am here to question, to push, or nudge if you will, and to potentially discover, most of the time within myself. However, I am human as are you, we aren't very different if you really think about it. And that is good.
Now to move on to the purpose in which I truly came to type. I was on Facebook today, I'm sure most of you can relate. If not, I really believe that's great. Nonetheless, much can be discovered through social media and today I came across a video with an intriguing title: "Russell Brand May Have Started a Revolution Last Night." Revolution is a strong word, we throw it around a lot in music, in common talk, as if we are actually revolting, as if we actually wish to revolt. But nonetheless it continues to hold an air of authority and excitement. I checked the video out, and really liked what I saw and what I heard. I don't know much about Russell Brand but I do know I only think him half funny in the times where I've listened, which also isn't very much. However, he has something about him that not many have, he really seems to just not care, in the best yet potentially very offensive way possible. Regardless, I was more concerned about the word "Revolution" really than the fact that Russell Brand was saying it. Click here to watch the video. Yes, it was great, to say the least; tons to think about, tons to consider and pick apart, but lots of truth, and really potentially, yes, a revolutionary movement although I'm not sure its entirely credited to him. However, he got the chance to speak it and he did. He fought for it too, and he was definitely heard. He's being what he believes. I took away much from what he said, but I guess also some about Russell Brand, and the way he's working his passions and beliefs. Two great things. I posted the video so that other's might potentially do the same. If not to take away things similar to what I did, but to take away something, or potentially provoke thought about something.
However I did not expect the first comment the video received:
"Wow I did not expect ideas like this from someone in hollywood, Russell Brand now has my respect."
Sorry to not spare anyone by not being vague, paraphrasing would do no help. However, keep in mind that I am simply using this comment as a ground, as I don't in any way feel that something said like this is unique.
By this, I was offended, maybe not for Russell Brand specifically, but for those of the collection of humanity that happen to be involved in or live in Hollywood. East-coast goers, California is not too far away, and the only thing that we are more of than anyone in Hollywood is oblivious of what is going on in this country and the world. In addition, people in Hollywood are people, they are us, we are them, it is that way with people in Africa, people in China, people in the redneck woods of West Virginia and the boondocks of Louisiana, people in Canada, and the downtown blue-light streets of Baltimore. Potentially the less we think of people as less or more, entirely different or entirely the same, the closer we get to them, the closer we get to ourselves, the closer we get to the big picture: what all of this is.
What are these judgements we make? I certainly would never want someone to judge me on what I wear, where I live, how much money I have, before asking me any questions, being in my presence, potentially looking in my eyes.  Yet I know at times I do. We cannot know, and we should not assume, without asking anything directly. And if something is discovered, heard, revealed, it should only be regarded as second-hand information, less than and never first-hand information. Simply because that is just what is it, second-hand information; opinions, conclusions. How could one not expect something, or expect something, without a judgement being made. Like I said, being judgmental is almost unavoidable in general. However, is it wise to just leave it at that? Or could things be improved by looking at what we judge, how we judge, who we judge, and why.
Why not expect ideas from "someone in hollywood" like that?
Who is  "someone in hollywood"? What does that mean?
Where could one get that definition from, if one could come up with one? And why is it so stable that one could make a generalized conclusion about one person like that?
Is it stable? Is it really true?
What is being said, really?
And what is any of this saying about who called the judgement?
Russell Brand is very intelligent. I did not get that from the interview, I know that because he is a successful comedian. One has to be. Its like rapping, you must be intelligent to be truly successful and respectable in that.
Russell Brand also probably does not care to have or gain your or my respect, not from watching that interview anyway. If you heard anything that he said clearly, he was trying to say something, he wanted us to listen to his words, he could probably care less what you or I thought about him afterwards. And honestly, what is your or my opinion of Russell Brand or anyone anyway? To put it bluntly, it only serves ourselves. Our opinions, judgements, conclusions, etc. They serve us, they reflect us, they affect us. Not anybody else, unless that person welcomes it or asks for it.
But Russell Brand was not doing that, I was not doing that with the purpose of posting my video. Nonetheless, the continuation of placing ourselves at the center of all things prevails, pushes forward, and continues to destroy, even if little by little.  And in most cases, this continues to go unnoticed, and sometimes not even just unnoticed, but encouraged.
As we continue to put ourselves in the center of the world, regarding our words, judgements, conclusions, beliefs as the highest, to be "rightfully considered as correct," we lose ourselves, we lose what is around us, we lose touch with that big picture, blinded and lost, we keep pushing forward continuing to ensure that we are right, holding onto all those judgments, claims, conclusions, until they potentially destroy us.
Because what happens if we are wrong?
If we are the center, and the center falls through, then what happens then, to the we? to the us? to the me? to the you?

No comments:

Post a Comment